DIY Non-Glycerine based Hydrating Face Mist

Friday, June 19, 2015



Does your skin feel tight and dry during the day? Maybe you live or work in dry humid conditions and your skin screams for some nourishing moisture at some point? My skin does. I have dehydrated skin and I feel it. My (body) skin is generally rough and dry so I need to make sure I drink enough fluids or else my (body) skin feels very taut and very uneasy. I try my best to do drink water regularly, I probably get 1 litre to 2 inside me daily but it's nowhere near the 2-2 1/2 litres I should be drinking and I'm not regular with it at all.

I can get dry and tight during the day so I like using face mists when my skin yearns for some extra moisture. Especially when I've been cooking or working out, the heat really affects my skin and I feel incredibly dry and dehydrated. My skin is usually left feeling very dry and rough but a quick spritz helps to relieve it.

I've watched some DIY face mist videos on YouTube and have seen some tutorials on the Internet, I've gone on to follow these tutorials and have even bought some ready made mists but they haven't satisfied my skin enough. They've all had one thing in common. Glycerine. Glycerine is used to absorb moisture from its environment and if you're not careful it can even absorb moisture from within your skin or so I've heard. The problem I have with glycerine is that I really don't like the sticky and tacky feeling it leaves on my skin, it just makes me look oily and doesn't absorb into my skin and doesn't quench my skins thirst.



So I racked my brains and with a little logic I concocted my own version. I LOVE using this with my Bare Minerals Foundation (I mentioned this mist in the review). I can also use it to touch up on the Bare Minerals foundation during the day and it helps blend everything out perfectly, no buildup or cakiness at all even if I already had makeup on.

My version is an oil based face mist, I've simply substituted the glycerine with oil and also added a few personal tweaks. I'm not sure whether my DIY face mist is the correct way to go chemistry and skincare wise, nor do I have any qualifications in the skincare field but this face mist actually works for me, it does what I want it to do and leaves my skin feeling the way I want it to feel, which is very satisfied! If anyone has made or knows of a DIY face mist similar to mine, let me know! I'd love to connect and hear your thoughts!



This is how I made my Hydrating Face Mist:

You'll need:

•A sanitised empty spray bottle 
•Clean pure Distilled or Bottled Water
•A plant based oil of your choice

(The rest are optional but it's what I used)

•Tea Tree Oil 
•Peppermint Oil 
•Vitamin E Oil 
OR
•An Essential Oil of your choice

1. I first sanitised the empty spray bottle, you can do this by boiling it for a minute or two in some water or disinfect it with some Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol). This will keep the face mist clean and hygienic for longer.

2. Using Bottled/Distilled water I filled the bottle up around 3/4 of the way. (Using clean pure water ensures the hygiene of the water so that it doesn't go off or turn vile.)

3. I filled up roughly the last 1/4 of the bottle with Almond Oil (*but kept some extra space left in the bottle*). I used 100% Pure Cold Pressed Almond Oil because it was what I had at the time, you can use any plant oil of your choice, like Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil etc.

Now depending on your skin type you can change up the water/oil ratio how you prefer. So if you're incredibly dry, flaky and crusty you can do 1/2 part water and 1/2 part oil. I'm combination so I use 3/4 parts water and 1/4 part oil, I've even used 4/5 water and 1/5 oil.

So use more oil and less water the drier you are, OR less oil and more water the oilier you are. Just experiment and see what suits you the best.

You can stop right here if you want and the water and oil will do the job but if you want to be extra like me then....

4. I decided to add a few drops of some chosen essential oils, I added some Tea Tree Oil to aid my spot prone skin, some Vitamin E for its healing antioxidant properties and some Peppermint Oil because I like the FRESH feeling it gives my skin. 

You can choose whichever oils you want and can choose how many drops you want to add, I added around 5-10 drops give or take of each oil for the size of my bottle. 

*The extra oils that I use is why I make sure that there is some extra space left in the bottle, but I also need the extra space for the next step....

5. Now, to use this oil you need to really shake the bottle every time you use it, because the oil and water will stay separate. Obviously I've not used an emulsifier of any sort so there's nothing to keep them binded together. That may be the only drawback for this DIY, but it doesn't bother me at all because it overall does the job really well for me. I don't mind shaking it every time I use the mist. I keep it in the fridge so it's nice and cooling when I use it.

I would say not to keep it for over a month, just to be on the safe side. It's best to just remake the mix. I think keeping it in the fridge helps it keep better too. 

That's it!

Like I said I don't hold a chemistry degree under my belt so I'm not sure of the efficacy of the ingredients I've used but I do know that this makes my skin feel soft, hydrated, moisturised and nourished. I also don't know if any of the extra oils I've used counteract each other, nor have I had any weird skin irritations when I've used this, so it's absolutely fine for me. If you have any doubts then test first before using, I can't guarantee what works for me will work for everyone, we're all different at the end of the day. That's my disclaimer :) .

If you've enjoyed this or tried it out please let me know!!! I absolutely love hearing your feedback! 

Peace and love everyone!

Note: I received a question on whether the oil ruins any makeup on the face. Which is a good question!

Personally I don't find this ruins my makeup, but that could be because I use 1/5 oil to water. Plus I find that the mist is so fine that it falls evenly and delicately onto the face. If there is more oil then I can imagine how it could potentially disrupt makeup underneath, but even then the mist should be fine enough to fall evenly and it shouldn't leave big globules of oil on the face. The nozzle itself can only determine this since not all spray bottles are the same.

Also I don't always use this over makeup, most of the time it's on bare skin. But the times that I have had makeup on, it's usually mineral makeup and I can then buff on some more without causing any problems. With liquid foundations I make sure not to use a lot and this works fine for me and I just powder if it gets too greasy. I haven't noticed my mascara or eyeliner run, but I generally avoid the eye area and try and keep it targetted at the skin areas. I guess you could trial and error and see how it works for you. Hope this helps. Xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe